Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Adversity introduces a man to himself

Now that the racing season is over I am left wondering about my season's success or lack thereof.  Lately I've been trying to look on the bright side of things, so I'm assuming a more optimistic posture.  "I'm tryin' Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd".



A friend recently asked me something after I showed a good race result.  He said 'well have you learned anything from these last few races'? I paused and thought about it, and at first I repsonded 'no, not really'.  He then said 'well, what's different about these last few races?' [referring to the fact that I have gotten several top 10 finishes at the Tuesday races, 6th place at the last OCUP, and a pretty decent place at the Provincials, and the 2 months before that I had races  I couldn't finish]  I paused for another moment and said 'the pain I feel sticking it out and staying in the race is not as bad as the pain I feel when go home after giving up in a race'.

 I think that's all it is in racing .  Which pain is worse? How much can you take? and lastly, how much do you want your desired result?



I suppose next year if I can raise my goals, or better yet, raise the threshold of the pain I'm willing to endure I can have an even better season.  From start to finish.  If I change the goal from wanting to finish the race with the pack to intending to help put a teammate on the podium, or work , no matter how hard, at getting on the podium myself ...............I suppose the pain of doing it will also be less than the pain of disappointment.

Jack Handy



2 comments:

  1. "There is no try. Only do or do not."
    --some puppet with Frank Oz's hand up its ass.

    ReplyDelete